History
Banbridge Golf Club is defined by its long and proud history, and commitment to moving with the times. In May 1912, David Wilson Smyth, a local linen baron and sportsman, called a public meeting to gauge support for the formation of a golf club in Banbridge. A temporary committee was formed with Mr Smyth as the club’s first Captain, and in December 1912 a lease of 48 acres of local land was signed.
The course first opened for play on 17 March 1913 and was officially opened on 4 June 1913 by the Earl of Annesley. GUI affiliation followed in 1914. In 1970 a further three holes were added and, in 1991, the course was extended to the present challenging 18 hole layout. The club celebrated its centenary of golf in 2013.
The clubhouse had its origins in a wooden building opened in 1929 at a cost of £612. A more substantial brick clubhouse was opened in 1979, and this was renovated and extended in 1997 to provide the existing clubhouse.
The club has produced many outstanding golfers in recent years including three touring professional golfers and two teaching golf professionals. Banbridge has outstanding amateurs who have won international and provincial caps for Ireland and Ulster, culminating in the Walker Cup. We have won national and provincial titles at all levels, as well as many prestigious scratch cups. On a team level, Banbridge Golf Club has had more than its share of success in regional and national GUI events.